header ad

Thursday, 19 February 2015

DIY Project - Bedside Tables

Renovating is expensive and as much as I would have loved to buy brand new bedside tables there was no budget for new ones.

I also love up-cycling and putting life back into an old piece of furniture.

These are our plain, boring laminate bedside cabinets.

I did some research on pinterest for inspiration on new looks - link below

I researched online on how to paint laminate, the advice I found was to clean the laminate first and then paint the furniture with a water based primer.

I used Zinseer 123 as below which you can buy on Amazon or Builders Depot.

I applied the primer to the units & drawer fronts with a paint brush.
The primer dried very quickly, I painted approx 2-3 coats to give good coverage.

I then started to paint the units with the chosen colour.

I used a small roller rather than a paint brush as the roller gives a nice smooth finish (no brush marks).

The paint I used was a wall paint - matte finish. 
CROWN INDULGENCE - 'CITY LIFE' - it's a dark grey / midnight blue.

I was planning to use new handles on the drawers so I filled the existing holes with poly filla, I then sanded a little to give a smooth finish ready for painting.

I managed to paint both units, only using 2.5 small tester pots (125ml each).

Both units were given approx 2-3 coats of paint.

The holes were then drilled for the new crystal handles.

I already had these handles as I'd removed them from a previous project.

I think they were originally from Homebase or Builders Depot in a pack of 6pcs.

As you can see the bedside cabinets have been totally transformed and look much nicer & a lot more modern.

I also purchased new taller lamps from TK MAXX which match the paint colour perfectly

Below are a couple of photos to show you BEFORE & AFTER the bedside cabinet revamp.



I hope you like...


After finishing my bedside tables I decided to add a marble top to finish them off to a higher standard.

I went to my usual Marble Supplier - 'Planet Marble' in Bounds Green / N11 and found an off cut that could be used.

It's always inexpensive to choose from off cuts as they're just left overs that the suppliers generally don't end up doing anything with & are always happy to sell them off at a great price.

This is the marble I found that they could easily cut out the 2 x tops from.
They cut them to the required size & polished all fours edges.

I paid £80.00 for the 2 x finished marble tops

I'd say the entire project cost me around £100.00, much cheaper than buying new side tables & they're completely unique & have a much more expensive look.

Here's the final look